L31 & L31F
Mid-range 32-bit RISC-V CPU for smart devices
The Codasip L31/L31F core is a low-power, general-purpose, embedded RISC-V CPU providing an ideal balance between performance and power consumption. From IoT devices to industrial and automotive control, or as a deeply embedded core in a larger system, this versatile CPU brings local processing capabilities into a compact area.
Just like all Codasip cores, L31/L31F can be easily customized with Codasip Studio tools, to add your own instructions and boost the efficiency of your system.
Features and benefits
L31 is a 32-bit RISC-V embedded CPU (RV32IMCB), featuring a hardware multiplier and divider. L31F includes an additional FPU (RV32IMFCB) to accelerate floating-point operations for applications that require signal processing.
L31/L31F is highly configurable with optional features that can significantly boost its performance, including:
- Instruction and data caches
- Instruction and data tightly-coupled memories (TCM)
- Branch prediction
- Physical Memory Protection
Using standard AMBA AHB or AXI Lite interfaces, L31 can easily be connected to existing systems and interconnects. What is more, L31 is designed to simplify software development, with essential features to support developers:
- Debug interface – using standard RISC-V Debug specification
- Instruction-accurate model – for fast execution of software, before hardware is available
- Cycle-accurate model – for software algorithm optimization, when time constraints require precise execution
- Full trace capability – in the cycle-accurate model, to hunt hard-to-find bugs
Customizable RISC-V CPU
If you need a core specifically tailored for its task, you can modify the L31/L31F core. Delivered in CodAL with an architecture license, the core is fully customizable with Codasip Studio at microarchitecture and ISA level.
With Codasip unique tools and design methodology, the custom instructions that you add are understood by our compiler and debugger, and are included in the instruction-accurate and cycle-accurate models. Whether you require higher performance, lower power, or need to reduce area for a particular set of applications, you have the full freedom to modify the L31/L31F core, and Codasip tools will generate the RTL and the SDK for you.
Licensing the L31 core
Choose the L31/L31F IP licensing model that fits your needs:
- A Codasip standard license contains all the benefits of a high-quality core, delivered in RTL, directly usable in your product.
- A Codasip enhanced architecture license includes the full CodAL high-level description language for L31/L31F, to allow you to fully customize it.
Best In Show award processorEmbedded World 2022
The Codasip L31 customizable RISC-V core won a best-in-show award in the Microcontrollers, Microprocessors & IP category.
A chosen IP
The Codasip L31 core has been chosen for the Intel® Pathfinder for RISC-V program.
- Hardware Development Kit
- Software Development Kit – including instruction-accurate and cycle-accurate models
- FPGA bitstream
- Scripts and testbenches for front-end and back-end
- Enabling software
Get an FPGA evaluation platform for L31, the perfect tool for you to evaluate the standard off-the-shelf core but also any customization you want to do. You can use it throughout the development of your custom product to check the functionality, develop and optimize software, but also for demos, product prototyping, and more.